HONORS ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY SYLLABUS
My name is Mrs. Murali. I will be your Honors Anatomy and Physiology teacher. I am so glad you are here! I am looking forward to an awesome year with all of you. Part of what will make this year great is your participation in class. To be successful in this class you must:
- Check Announcements daily for important communication.
- Check Modules for Course materials and Assignments
- Complete all Assignments by due date to keep up with the grade.
- Ask for help when needed in Microsoft Teams during office hours.
COURSE DESCRIPTION AND OVERVIEW:
Honors anatomy and physiology is an intensive study of the structure and function of the human body with an emphasis on how each system plays a vital role in homeostasis. Each of the major body systems will be covered in detail as well as their relevance in the maintenance of the human body as a unit. Each of the major body systems will be covered in detail as well as their relevance in the maintenance of the human body as a unit.
The course is a strenuous survey of human anatomy that parallels anatomical characteristics of other animals. The course will include a review of introductory biology, cytology, histology, integumentary, skeletal, muscular, nervous, circulatory, and digestive systems and the special senses. The course focuses on anatomical terminology, anatomical identification, and physiological processes of human body systems.
This is a lab oriented course and is designed to familiarize students with process and laboratory safety skills. Laboratory experiments and dissections will be an integral part of this course. Students enrolled in this course should realize that this course requires an extensive amount of time, effort, reading, and memorization. Successful completion of this class requires dedication and commitment from the student.
- Tests, Quizzes and Projects- (60%)
- Labs - (30%)
- Daily Assignments- (10%)
- Laptop or tablet with camera
- Binder or Spiral Notebook for notes
MAKE UP WORK:
- If you are absent, it is your responsibility to communicate with me and make up any missing assignments in the time frame according to the PISD handbook.
- Only 2 retakes or test correction is allowed per grading period.
- MASK ON & SOCIAL DISTANCE at all time.
- All school and district rules apply in the classroom. Tardy will be taken so be on time!
- Half credit will be given if you turn in lab assignment one day after the deadline.
- After that, you will not get any credit for that assignment. Pay attention to the deadlines!
- Class files, assignments, announcements and calendar will be posted on Canvas.
- We will on meet on TEAMS. Attendance is required. Turn on your camera throughout the entire class period. Turn off your mic unless you are speaking. You will be marked absent if I cannot see you!
- Dress appropriately while you are attending the class, even though you are at home.
- Communicate with me via Email if you have any issues.
Class Activities and Lab Safety:
Students will be responsible for accessing canvas for notes, assignments and Quizzes/ Tests . It would help students to have an organized notebook, participating in class activities, participating in labs and dissections, completing homework and class work assignments, projects, quizzes, research, and reports.
IF YOU HAVE AN CONFLICT WITH DISSECTING ANIMALS, THEN YOU SHOULD SEE YOUR COUNSELOR ABOUT TAKING ANOTHER SCIENCE CLASS. THERE IS ZERO TOLERANCE FOR INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR IN THE LAB!!!!!
Any misbehavior in the lab results in immediate removal from the lab environment, a zero on all work for the day, and a negative call to the parent. Depending on the nature of the behavior, a discipline referral may result.
*** SOME OF THE LAB DISSECTIONS MIGHT BE AFFECTED DUE TO REMOTE LEARNING
TOPICS TO BE COVERED:
Unit 0: Introduction to the Anatomy and Physiology/ Safety test and Scientific Method
Unit 1: Foundations of Anatomy and Physiology
Unit 2: Cells (Animal Cell Analogy)
Unit 3: Tissues (Microscope Tissue Identification Lab)
Unit 4: Fetal Pig Dissection (Planes of Dissection / Identification of Organs Systems)
Unit 5: Membranes and Integumentary System
Unit 6: The Skeletal System (Bone Box- Axial and Appendicular Skeletal Practical)
Unit 7: The Lymphatic and Immune System
Unit 8: The Muscular System (Identification of Muscles- Rabbit Dissection)
Unit 9: The Digestive System and Nutrition (Identification of Organs)
Unit 10: The Nervous System (Sheep Brain Dissection)
Unit 11: The Sensory System (Eyeball Dissection)
Unit12: The Respiratory System (Spirometer – Lung volume Capacity)
Unit 13: The Blood / The cardiovascular System (Sheep Heart Dissection)
Unit 14: The Urinary System (Sheep Kidneys Dissection)
Unit 15: The Endocrine System
Unit 16: Medical Case Study Project
Suggested School Supplies
- Gloves for Dissection (**Mandatory for every student)
- Color pencils (one 12 color pack)
Best way to reach me is through email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also contact me through Teams during office hours.
Here is the link to Office 365
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.